ISBN: 9780957128712
Size: A5, 40 pages
Price: 9.00 includes UK P&P

 

Also available at:

Amazon

Melton Mowbray Bookshop

 

A short history of Great Dalby, Leicestershire

Click here to see a few sample pages.

Great Dalby is a small Leicestershire village to the east of the county near the border with Rutland, and some three miles south of Melton Mowbray. Historical notes, about Great Dalby, were compiled by Reginald Parker in the 1980s and a manuscript copy is held at the Leicestershire Record Office in Wigston. A brief account of the village was produced a few years later. It was entitled Bridge, Pump and Spire and was written by Stephen Houghton, Annie Johnson and the late Peter Large. That account, which was not published, included some important material relating to Great Dalby; not least details of ancient finds made in the area. This history includes some of that material and offers a fuller, chronological survey of Great Dalby; which will be of interest to those who live in the village today, as well as those whose ancestors once lived here.

"GREAT DALBY (or Dalby Magna) is a village and parish, with a station threequarters of a mile west from the village on the Newark and Market Harborough branch of the Great Northern and London and North Western joint railway, 3 miles south from Melton Mowbray, 100 miles from London by rail and 15 north-west from Leicester, in the Eastern division of the country, East Goscote hundred, Melton Mowbray petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deaner of Goscote second portion, archdeaconry of Leicester and diocese of Peterborough. The church of St. Swithin is an old building of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and a western tower containing a clock and 5 bells, two dated respectively 1598 and 1684, two recast in 1784 and one undated: the spire fell in the year 1658 and has not been replaced: in 1888 the west doorway and window were restored and the tower arch (previously blocked up) was reopened: there are 240 sittings, all being free, The register dates from the year 1591. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value of tithe rent-charge 235, average 190, with residence, in the gift of Sir Francis Burdett bart. and held since 1890 by the Rev. Frederick Christopher Lawrence Rolleston, of St. Mary Hall, Oxford. There is a Wesleyan chapel, built by subscription in 1846. The charities produce 3 10s. yearly. Col. Sir Francis Burdett bart. of Foremark, Derbyshire, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clayey; subsoil clay. The land is principally used for grazing. Stilton cheese is made here. The area is 2,328 acres; rateable value, 3,682; the population in 1881 was 455."

KELLY'S DIRECTORY of Derbyshire, Leicestershire & Rutland, and Nottinghamshire 1891. Part 2: Leicestershire & Rutland, page 561. London: Kelly and Co.

Click here to go to our ordering page.